Sunday, February 22, 2009

Japan: The Land of Muzak

Okay, so this is what was perched on the outskirts of my mind last week: Japan's love affair with muzak; oh boy, is it a love affair! EVERYWHERE you go, you can't help but here smooth renditions (both orchestral and electronic) of a multitude of popular western songs. I've heard everything from Beyonce (Irreplaceable) and Madonna (Crazy For You), to Aerosmith and folk songs (Too-A-Loo-Ra-Loo-Ral). There are many others of course, but I've been negligent in keeping track of them (various other hip-hop, alt. rock, folk songs, etc.).

My personal favorite odd song usage has to be the signal that every Japanese store I've been in (at closing time anyway) uses to signal it's time to wrap up your shopping and get the hell out: Auld Lang Syne. Grocery stores, recycle shops (2nd hand), electronics stores, if you're shopping there between 9 and 10pm, you'll hear Auld Lang Syne. It's an odd way to say 'Dear Customers, we're closing soon, please proceed to the check out with your purchases', but it's entertainin nonetheless. You here the drunken song of renewal while browsing the aisles, look up, and all of your fellow shoppers are making a pseudo zombie-shuffle towards the cashier, items in hand. Consumer programming at its best.

Seriously though, EVERYTIME we go for dinner we are serenaded by deliciously lame renditions of songs that were, in many cases, deliciously lame to begin with. I really should start taking names.

Anway, that's it for now. Next week I'll tell you about the non-muzak offerings of a specific grocery store. Later.

No comments: