Sup ya'll? The last week has been really busy. Last weekend, Bri went to the Tokyo game show, which I'm sure he'll tell you all about. We've been trying to get the house in order, which we finally accomplished today by going to Costco & Ikea. It's funny, in Japan, Ikea is pronounced E.K.ya. It was great, most people spoke English so we were able to get everything we wanted and even got delivery service to our house. We FINALLY got a bed (yay!) so that'll be here mid-week. No more sleeping on the floor. We also got towels, kitchen stuff, etc. We also got curtains, which hopefully will help me sleep better.
So I've been having reeeeeal difficulty sleeping. Well, we both have really. Because we work nights, we usually don't go to bed until 1 or 2, which shouldn't be a problem. However, there are a few things that prohibit us from sleeping in. Number 1-driving advertisements. So apparently it's totally normal for trucks with speaker phones to drive up and down roads all day every day announcing various shit, like who to vote for in the upcoming election or what's been lost & found. For reals, people. It's LOUD and sooooooo obnoxious! Yesterday morning,we woke up to the sound of a very loud one and I couldn't believe that it was 8 o'clock already. Yeah, it wasn't. It was 6-freakin-30!! Can you imagine!! I was IRATE.
Anyways, that's just the first problem. The second problem is the abundance of birds that seems to enjoy tapping on our window as soon as the sun rises. The third problem is perhaps the most annoying of all. So our neighbour has a dog. That likes to bark. Starting, oh, around 5:30am. And they just let him bark all freakin' day! WTF! I get so mad, cuz I'm really tired and just want to sleep. Brian and I have resolved that we're just going to start going to be as soon as we get home and then getting up around 8. Of course, there will probably still be barking dogs and loud-speaker trucks waking us up at 6am, but what can do you, right? Good lord.
So that's my rant. Hmmm...what else is new? We also went to Costco today, which is SO much like Costco at home. We bought stuff like chili in a can, muffins & pita chips. Very easy. Plus everything's in English, which is a bonus. Just as an aside, I can hear one of those loud-speaker trucks right now. It's about 7:30pm on a Sunday night. Oye.
Last night, we went to a friend's going away party. He's been in Japan for many years and is actually from Washington state. He's really nice, it's too bad he's leaving. Anyways, we had a potluck at his girlfriend's restaurant. It's weird, Japanese potlucks are quite literal-everyone brings something and it all goes in the pot. Very yummy! They gave us SO much food when we left, so now our fridge is packed.
It's funny, Japanese women like to pet me. Especially when they drink. They pet my hair, hug me and call me pretty. Very interesting I think. It's probably because I'm so white and Japanese people apparently really want light skin. Which I find ironic, because white people usually want to be darker! It's really cute though. I was also wearing puppy headgear (pics to come later), so they thought I was especially cute, lol.
My parents will be here in less than a week, so we're super stoked! We're going to go with them to Nikko for a few days which is supposed to be one of the most beautiful places in Japan. The weather here has just been incredible the last month. Very warm during the day, with a light breeze. And it doesn't rain! I think it's rained maybe 4 days since we've been here. People always make fun of Vancouver for having such rainy weather-I never thought Vancouver was especially rainy before living somewhere else. It's SO nice not having everything wet all the time.
Anyways, I'm going back to hanging curtains. Talk to you soon!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
That sucks that you guys can't sleep. I guess the japanese are used to the loudspeakers. I can understand them wanting to pet and hug you 'cause you ARE cute!!
I am a little bit...ok ok...I'm A LOT JEALOUS of your Mom & Dad. We miss you both so much we wish we could come with them too. You will have a great visit :)
You should come along. But BYOF (bring your own futon) :P
If it makes you feel better the loud-speaker thing isn't just an asian thing- they were doing it in Greece and Rome too and it drove me nuts! I was so happy i brought ear plugs along or what was a peaceful vacation could have turned international incident =)
Post a Comment